Monday, February 9, 2009

Twitter -- Practical Social Media Tool or Popularity Contest


I am sure I am going to piss some people off with this post -- well ok all three of my readers. But I feel the need to bring up something I am seeing through all these social media tools. Now I completely understand how valuable Twitter can be. I have met some meaningful connections and gained some fascinating insights from people around the world. 

But sometimes the activity I see ranks nothing more than a popularity contest filled with inside jokes from Tweeters and an undisclosed challenge of who can get their @handle mentioned most throughout the day. 

Again -- I get it. I get how valuable all these online connections can be but I am amazed that hours can go by without someone posting a relevant piece of information. Instead I just see conversations between Tweeters about who knows more people and how brilliant each of them are. I must admit that is what bugs me. Where is the meaningful information sharing? I admire people like @leeodeen, @terriellman, @twitinbiz, @perfectporridge and @BestBuyCMO. These Tweeters share information that I can use in my job, that make me a smarter PR practitioner and give me insights I wanted to RT. 

Hey -- I will be the first to admit, maybe I am just jealous. Maybe the strong (albeit attention seeking) Leo in me feels left out of all the verbal pats on the back and accolades being bestowed throughout the day. I have full admiration for the networks and channels built by people like @arikhanson, @allanschoenberg, @jasonsprenger, @adeos @rockstarjen and @dmullen. I find it remarkable how they have found a delicate balance between sharing industry information and also fostering great relationships for all of us to follow and observe. Each of these Tweeters have built a network of followers relevant to them by sharing ideas they are passionate about while at the same time showcasing the compassion they have for others in the industry. 

They question is when do we shift from balance and practicality to a virtual high school with cliques abound and the rest of us afraid to enter the conversations. A tad dramatic? sure -- but just my opinion. 



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You better shut up, or I'll uninvite you to my party.

T Deos said...

That's it - you're out of my clique!

Greg, let's go...

Heather Schwartz, APR said...

Deos -- you break my heart!

Swan -- I never thought you actually wanted me at your party. I am not one of the cool kids like you!

Tim Otis said...

Looks like I'm one of your readers because I like how you write. Punchy,concise-- everything so many aren't.

Anyway, Twitter a popularity contest? You bet. Social media enthusiasts, start-up entrepreneurs and motivational speakers are the biggest culprits of the Bruce Almighty plea: "Love me.... Love me... Love me!"

Unfortunately most of us don't have time to plea for 5 hours out of the day when paid clients are knocking on our doors.

Then again, Twitter is so valuable that it's hard not to become addicted to the conversation. One last thing. To get yourself popular quicker, check out search.twitter.com, research the issues and talk about them.

Heather Schwartz, APR said...

Tim -- thanks so much. I need to be a bit more proactive on updating. By I only like to blog when I have something good to say!