Monday, November 3, 2008

Research in Journalism -- What an Idea!

Recently, KARE 11 produced a story that really bothered me. The story was about my ex-sister in law, who apparently still uses the Schwartz name. The focus was on a rehab center called Healing House, a center in Minneapolis that allows women to bring their children while going through a yearlong program to battle addiction. Now while I think places like this center need to exists and serve the purpose to help, I was disturbed at how misinformed viewers were about Sarah’s story.

While showing Sarah holding her daughter Nevaeh Schwartz, no relation, the reporter shares how Sarah, thanks to Healing House, is able to give her daughter a new chance on life. The story goes on to share Sarah’s realities about her life and addiction. While all these things are true, the story left off some pretty big facts…

…the story neglected to share that Sarah has three other children from two other fathers. Two of these children happen to be my nieces who are being raised by their paternal grandparents because Layla and Kira’s parents can’t seem to get their lives together and provide for their children. So why wasn’t this part of the story told? Why didn’t the reporter take time to learn that while Sarah is getting clean, she is years away from being the kind of mother who provides for her children. How hard it was for my father to answer to his grandchildren why mommy doesn’t love them as much as Nevaeh.

As someone who works with the media every day, it saddens me that reporters can’t bring the whole story to their viewers, listeners or readers. As a PR person, I am expected to be ethical and truthful in every communication I handle for a client. For every story I pitch to a reporter, I ensure that the facts are straight and the resources are reliable. Why isn’t the same standard held for reporters? I have emailed the producer and reporter at KARE for an answer to this question. I am still waiting to hear back….

No comments: